February 26, 2013

Satellite Road

With generally great success, my trip from Mass, to South Carolina, through THE South, around SE Arizona and up to the Bay Area has come to an end. 

Though this may be the worst time of year to bird the renown Southeast Arizona, it was an amazing trip for me, as it was my first time in the area, giving me a couple dozen new birds (*=life bird) for my viewing pleasure.

My first stop was along Satellite Road, which is the border of New Mexico and Arizona, where my first sighting was a Loggerhead Shrike repeatedly stalking and flushing a large flock of Lark Buntings*. 

Loggerhead Shrike
IMG_4741

Lark Buntings
IMG_4696

IMG_4705

IMG_4692


The road was teeming with White-crowned, Brewer's, Vesper, and Black-throated Sparrows, and I found my first Cactus Wrens*, Canyon Towhees*, and Curve-billed Thrashers* there as well.

Black-throated Sparrow
IMG_4757

Cactus Wren
IMG_4718

Western Meadowlark
IMG_4725

No comments:

Post a Comment