October 19, 2010

Comparison

I don't have much new to show, but I thought I'd put up a comparison post. A lot of these pictures are repeats but I separated them by genus and labeled them by age and sex if I knew it. We still haven't caught some varieties (like an adult male harrier) and I'm missing pictures of a few (like a female kestrel), but I thought this would give a good look at the hawks we have been catching, with side-by-side comparisons to show some differences.

Falcons:
Immature Merlin
Photobucket

Immature male kestrel
Photobucket

Photobucket

Immature peregrine
Photobucket

Photobucket


Accipiters:
Sharp-shinned
Two immature birds, female on the left, male on the right:
Photobucket

Two adults with different shades of the eyes:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Cooper's
Immature:
Photobucket

Adult:
Photobucket

Northern goshawk
Immature
Photobucket


Buteos

Broad-winged
Immature:
Photobucket

Red-tailed
Immature:
These are three different birds
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Circus:
Northern harrier
Immature
IMG_1716

Adult female
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment