September 6, 2012

Songbirds (97) and Raptors (50+)

Great day up at the ridge today. I started off helping with passerine banding shortly after sunrise. We thought it might be a good day, and I knew it would be once I arrived at the ridge and found huge flocks of warblers moving through. We ended up with 97 birds of 21 species. Highlights were Western Palm Warbler, Gray-cheeked Thrush (life bird), Magnolia Warblers, Blue-headed Vireos, Mourning Warblers and full on adult male American Redstarts.

Blue-headed Vireo
IMG_0705

Orange-crowned Warbler, not super exciting for me, but fairly uncommon here!
IMG_0708

Mourning Warbler
IMG_0703

After the songbirds slowed down I spent the rest of the day banding with Frank, ending with around 55 raptors for the day, mostly sharpies, a couple of Cooper's, a Northern Harrier and a Merlin.

Female Merlin
IMG_0719

Young male Northern Harrier
IMG_0712

Adult female Cooper's
IMG_0717

No comments:

Post a Comment