December 6, 2010

At Point Reyes

Yesterday was my first day here, but it rained, so we didn't run nets and I got a chance to get some sleep, go for a run on the beach (which was accidental and really difficult because its just rocks), and settle in. I haven't gotten a chance to take pictures of the living situation yet, but its nice with big rooms, real beds, toilets (!!), showers, a big kitchen, and a large building with offices and a lounge.

Today was our first day of banding so me boss pretty much walked my through how they do it here. It is VERY standardized, as this organization has been functional for about 30 years, so it's best for me to basically relearn everything from her. Today we banded at the station where we live, which we will be doing three days a week. Other days of the week we will be going to off site locations to band, as well as work on data here. For our first day we got 11 birds: 3 ruby crowned kinglets, an anna's hummingbird, 6 townsend's warblers, and a wrentit.

After nets were down and data was done Michael (intern from the fall, leaving soon), Joe (intern for the winter with me) and I went down to the beach (which is a 5 minute walk away) and hiked around for a bit:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment: