March 22, 2012

Breaking news

We caught our second trogon today, it was a Slaty-tailed! Could have had our third (and maybe fourth) but one escaped the net before I could get it out and another was just whistling hysterical above the net. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with trogons, but seeing one in the net is something I have found myself daydreaming about on slow days. I think some of my great excitement over trogons comes from the fact that four years ago I would have never thought I would see one, let alone hold one. Check it:

Surprisingly bulky bird in the hand. The black-throated felt much smaller and more docile.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Odd flight feather proportions, reminds me a quail wing.
Photobucket

Our El Salvadorian coworker was never as excited about the prospect of catching a trogon as I was, she claimed they smell bad. And she's right, it was a stinky bird. Good though.

Had a nice bite too! (It was a young lady bird, very pretty lashes.)
Photobucket

After a rough banding session, having dropped more feathers than a mourning dove.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment