November 1, 2010

Nov 1?

I have about 18 days left here, insane. My next job will be working on the Point Reyes National Seashore, which is about an hour north of San Fran. It's an internship, so, again, very little money is involved, but the opportunities for learning are significant enough to make it worth it. It's essentially a songbird banding internship where I'll be learning in a lot more detail the standardized ways of aging, sexing, banding and measuring passerines. I'll also get a chance to do point counts and winter bird censuses, learning other techniques for mapping out local bird distributions. We're also going to get a chance to do independent research projects using the decades of data they have collected there. The idea, for me at least, is to develop somewhat of an understanding of the kinds of questions that are useful to ask given the specific data set. What questions are feasibly answered, what questions are not, what questions am I actually interested in? This may help with figuring out grad school interests. I'm excited for the winter in Cali, living closer to a few friends, but unfortunately a lot farther away from Massachusetts.

IMG_3837
Photo by my pa

LE flying off
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment