February 27, 2013

Portal and Cave Creek Canyon

After Satellite Road I made a quick stop at Quailway Cottage, where there were feeders up and I got my first looks at Ladder-backed Woopeckers* and Pyrrhuloxias*.

Ladder-backed Woodpecker
IMG_4780

Pyrrhuloxia
IMG_4793

Singing Curve-billed Thrasher


Next I made my way to the tiny town of Portal, where I birded the main quarter mile strip, and made my way up and down Cave Creek Canyon.  Around the canyon I found lots of Mexican Jays*, a few Juniper Titmice*, my only Red-naped Sapsucker*, and my first of many Bridled Titmice*.

Banded Mexican Jay
 IMG_4832

Feeders were obviously the most productive spots to find hoards of birds, so Cave Creek Ranch's extensive feeder setup did not disappoint.

Curve-billed Thrasher
IMG_4851

Everyone loved the Peanut Butter

Ladder-backed Woodpecker
IMG_4864

Arizona Woodpecker*
IMG_4914

Acorn Woodpecker
IMG_4960

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
IMG_5055

IMG_5066

My only Blue-throated Hummingbird* of the trip
IMG_4988

My second and final Cactus Wren sighting of the trip
IMG_4874

IMG_4877


1 comment:

  1. Yes...the blue hummer ! Everyone was stalking it at the Ranch last February and trying to get a photo. Great pictures, makes us want to go back.
    Love all the woodpecker shots

    ReplyDelete